


Mehretu is based in New York. Her work has an expressionism feel to it. It is very free and gestural built up with layers of media. The media she has used are acyclic paint, mark-making using pencil, pens,ink and thick streams of paint.
When looking at her work I instantly saw, maps in her work. When reading into her (on the website 'White Cube') she talks about her work:
"Mehretu has described her rich canvases as ‘story maps of no location’, seeing them as pictures into an imagined, rather than actual reality."
I love the fact she has not taken her inspiration literally, and you can still see what she is looking at when looking at the work.
When looking at her work I instantly saw, maps in her work. When reading into her (on the website 'White Cube') she talks about her work:
"Mehretu has described her rich canvases as ‘story maps of no location’, seeing them as pictures into an imagined, rather than actual reality."
I love the fact she has not taken her inspiration literally, and you can still see what she is looking at when looking at the work.
No comments:
Post a Comment