Saturday, 3 October 2009

Report - Out the Ordinary


Out the Ordinary Spectacular craft- Millennium Gallery Sheffield

This exhibition makes you think beyond the average. It is about when talent meets dedication, tradition and obsession and these blur the boundaries in design. It is made up of different people’s pieces with completely different work. In my opinion some pieces were stronger than others and some pieces must have taken a long time. There was a woman called Lu Shengzhong there who had cut out intricate frogs from tissue paper, there was thousands and I do not know how she had the patience to do this. Even though it was amazing because it was so intricate, I did not like the piece, I didn’t engage with this at all. Another artist that I did not grasp her own thoughts on was Susan Collis (above is an example of her work) there was just a dustsheet on the floor and some steps. After going to the exhibition and talking to my tutor she than told me that the dust sheet was intricately embroidered and the steps were covered in paint but precisely done. This shows that you should examine the piece closely before ignoring it. I think the concept is very clever, and I have learnt my lesson.

The gallery was very spacious, with white walls and dimmed lighting with spotlights drawn to the pieces. In some areas it was confusing whose work belong to the artist but there was people there to ask to find out. Although when asking these people about the pieces they did not know that much information, I think if you are going to be in a gallery and work there they should know some information if anybody has a question, I would find out if I worked there. Also there was a bench in a few places around the pieces this was good when wanting to analyze a piece to sit down and just relax and get involved with the piece.

This exhibition defiantly got me thinking and considering different ideas in my thinking habits, which I could apply to a new brief to think beyond the obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment