Saturday, 3 October 2009

Report - Timorous Beasties


Timorous Beasties – Millennium Gallery- Sheffield

My first reaction when going into the room with this exhibition was that it was only a small room, I thought it would be bigger, ‘I remember thinking is this it?’ Once that initial reaction was gone there was quite a few products that they were show casing. It did not feel like a traditional style of gallery, the room was dark there were black walls and the lighting was very limited, this was to set the atmosphere for their work.

In the room there was a chair and table to sit down, there were also books that linked to the work that was on show. Also there was a magnetic play board were someone could take elements of the insects that were on display and make there own design. This was good for the viewers to engage in the work more than normal.

The show that Timorous Beasties put together was not as good as I expected there were parts of the show that really let the work down. I really like the concept of the exhibition I thought that was really strong. The concept was a twist on what is expected in the home environment, to what they have used as their theme, which was insects this you would not necessarily use in the home environment. They also used traditional Victorian furniture to back up their twist and ideas. The show lets it down on there finishing touches. They have printed on an inside to a lampshade, although they have not carried the design through on the other side of the seam. This is the same as putting up wallpaper and not matching the pattern up. I think that Beasties think they can get away with not doing this, because they have a good name, although I think if they carry on this way than it could damage there career. It’s not really setting a good example for people who are just starting their own business. Also I did not like the fact that there was no name on the pieces we were looking at, this made the research hard and there was no images of the pieces on the internet site, and we couldn’t take images in this exhibition. The image above is like the work in the exhibition, but not what I concentrated on.

No comments:

Post a Comment